Old Pictures of Cape Town

Posted on 25th March 2009 by Tony in Random

, , , ,

Cape Town is a bustling, growing, exciting city to live in – one forgets there were quieter days. I got this in my mailbox this afternoon and thought I’d share it with you:

This is Adderley Street – Cape Town CBD

Adderley Street

This is Cape Town International Airport. Look at the Turbo-Props … Nifty!

Cape Town Airport

Here’s the Table Mountain Cable Car … the new ones have doors and everything :-)

Cable Car

Here’s Camp’s Bay/Clifton side of the mountain

Camps Bay

This is the Cape Town Foreshore … wow, certainly looks different now!

Cape Town Foreshore

And here is Cape Town Harbour … no shopping malls!

Cape Town Harbour

And here is the N1 (National Road) between Cape Town and Johannesburg

National Road between Cape Town and Johannesburg

And here is Newlands Cricket Stadium

Newlands Cricket Stadium

And finally … here is Cape Town Train Station

Cape Town Train Station

Be Sociable, Share!

1. Don says:

The foreshore is actually HoutBay and the Harbour is Kalk Bay!

25th March 2009 at 7:44 am

Thanks for the updates. I cut and paste from a friend!

25th March 2009 at 12:48 pm

3. Etienne du Plessis says:

These photos were lifted from my Flickr site at;

where I have more than three hundred old Cape Town pics.
    I dont mind you displaying them, but please add a link to my site.

25th March 2009 at 12:05 pm

4. Pat van Koersveld says:

Hi,

Loved the photograph of the old Cape Town station, would like to see more if you have, especially the other end ie., Cape Flats Board and Cloak room areas nearby.
    Way back then people just didn’t take photographs as often as we do today.

Pat

25th March 2009 at 8:56 am

5. cedric bass says:

Mr. Du Plessis – these photos are not yours. You might have scanned them and put them online, but you are not the copyright holder of these works. Please credit your flickr account accordingly, and make them available to all under a creative commons licence.

25th March 2009 at 1:50 am

Woah – guys, I don’t really know who owns the rights to these photos, but they’ve been floating around in emails from various places all over the show. It’s quite safe to assume that they’re in public domain by now.

Instead of bickering, let’s just appreciate where we are and where we come from.

25th March 2009 at 3:52 pm