Warning: call_user_func_array() [function.call-user-func-array]: First argument is expected to be a valid callback, '' was given in /home/freetips/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 298
Reasonable uncapped DSL in South Africa? « Free Tips DOT COZA

Reasonable uncapped DSL in South Africa?

Posted on 18th March 2010 by Tony in Free Tip

So the big news this morning is that MWEB has released a whole heap of cheaper DSL products in South Africa – uncapped DSL for about R219 per month. Now that’s not bad at all.

I am a little concerned by some of the fineprint, which you can read about on mybroadband.co.za. I found a link where MWEB was giving out free accounts to the first 1000 people to test it out. I’ve qualified, so I’ll definitely keep you in the loop regarding this!

My concerns lie in the fact that if you’re limiting my usage then it’s really not broadband in the proper sense of the word.

For example, I’m not allowed to audio-stream my radio from Germany, not allowed to video-stream (TV from the UK, for example) and not allowed to do any excessive FTP’ing … I’m worried about those kinds of limitations. Who says they won’t throttle things to a point where it’s unusable.

Anyway, it’s absolutely all speculation … many ISP’s have the fineprint just to protect themselves against the odd abuser. I am, however, very excited to see the progress being made in South Africa’s internet community.

1. Gareth says:

I spoke to the sales department. They say that they wont throttle?!!?

I signed up for the 4mb uncapped… Will let you guys know how it goes!

18th March 2010 at 2:37 pm

Hi Gareth, thanks for the comment. From what I’ve been told, there will be throttling but it will only be during peak hours when priority will be given to email and browsing.

We’ll see how it goes.

18th March 2010 at 2:57 pm

3. Jeremy G says:

Wow, apparently my MWEB ADSL is being upgraded to uncapped automatically AND it is R50 cheaper 🙂

I cannot complain about that at all!

Let the internet raping begin

18th March 2010 at 5:07 pm

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the comment. You have answered my question: What is MWEB going to do with it’s existing subscribers? 🙂

Are you running on 384kbps or 4Mbit?

18th March 2010 at 12:25 am

5. Koos says:

It will definitely be unfair if they block streaming etc. It beats the whole point of uncapped. do what you want when you want….

Ok my point. @lantic released a great package. Any line you buy with 1 GIG free, now Mweb is starting a war, what will happen next? will @lantic, iBurst, Vodacom etc follow the trend?

Let’s see who has the balls to go that far.

18th March 2010 at 10:21 am

6. Gareth says:

I am sure many ISP’s that choose not follow suit will be left behind… competition is should drive these prices

Go MWEB… Lead the way! FREE THE WEB

I wonder if there will be price fixing – like the bread price scandal?

18th March 2010 at 11:46 pm

Yup, Gareth… great to see things happening in the right direction!

18th March 2010 at 1:34 pm

8. Terence says:

Man, SA is finally moving in the right direction! I’m still stuck on Telkom till august, but when my contract runs out im definitely moving over to an uncapped supplier.

By then maybe telkom’s uncapped will be affordable, or maybe there may even be a few other other suppliers that have entered the uncapped market.

It sucks big donkey balls that ive gota wait till august, but just maybe its a good thing and might give rise to some competition giving me an even better price for my uncapped adsl…either way, i cant wait

18th March 2010 at 9:41 am

Hi Terence

Thanks for the comment. I’m sure that this will finally result in some good news for the average internet user in SA! I’m just concerned about all the throttling, though.

18th March 2010 at 6:54 pm

10. Alexander says:

Hey

I’m @lantic

Why does @lantic kill the speed in the day? But on
    Saterday and Sunday the speed is full all day.

Will it be fixt or will it be forever like that?

Thanks

18th March 2010 at 3:10 pm

11. zieglerreports.com says:

Hello are using WordPress for your site platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and
    set up my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my web site zieglerreports.com

18th March 2010 at 12:40 am

12. Tami Sandoval says:

Hello my name is Tami Sandoval and I just wanted to send you a quick message here instead of calling you. I discovered your Reasonable uncapped DSL in South Africa? « Free Tips DOT COZA website and noticed you could have a lot more hits. I have found that the key to running a popular website is making sure the visitors you are getting are interested in your website topic. There is a company that you can get keyword targeted traffic from and they let you try the service for free for 7 days. I managed to get over 300 targeted visitors to day to my website. http://maak.me/s0p1j

18th March 2010 at 9:24 pm

13. Maisie says:

Yesterday, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a forty foot
    drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My apple ipad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!

18th March 2010 at 9:56 pm

14. Elisa Brown says:

This is a message to the Reasonable uncapped DSL in South Africa? « Free Tips DOT COZA admin. Your website is missing out on at least 300 visitors per day. I have found a company which offers to dramatically increase your traffic to your site: http://tdil.co/3p – They offer 500 free targeted visitors during their free trial period and I managed to get over 30,000 visitors per month using their services, you could also get lot more targeted visitors than you have now. Hope this helps 🙂

18th March 2010 at 11:26 am

15. Elisa Brown says:

I came to your Reasonable uncapped DSL in South Africa? « Free Tips DOT COZA page and noticed you could have a lot more traffic. I have found that the key to running a website is making sure the visitors you are getting are interested in your subject matter. We can send you targeted traffic and we let you try it for free. Get over 1,000 targeted visitors per day to your website. Check it out here: http://tdil.co/3p

18th March 2010 at 9:30 pm