Pastel Accounting – Software Dinosaur

Posted on 24th March 2010 by Tony in Rant

, ,

I have been a reluctant user of Pastel Accounting since 2007. This is because every bookkeeper, accountant and SARS themselves tell you that you need to use Pastel. The main reason (compared to quickbooks) is that you can’t edit transactions once they have been processed. It leaves electronic paper-trails, which apparently is what SARS likes.

Let me not beat around the bush. I hate Pastel. It is the most irritating and frustrating piece of software ever created – specifically designed to make the average user feel absolutely stupid and fuel the egos of aforementioned accountants and bookkeepers.

For instance, when you draw a statement for a client it is not chronological (as one would think) nor it is arranged in any way that resembles logical thought. This means that one has to “hunt” through a statement to pair up payments and invoices. Why?

But the reason for my rant of the day is this:

Last week some time (is it only a week, it feels like a year?) my trusty 7 year old XP computer was chomped up by a malicious trojan. The only reason I keep a Microsoft PC is because Pastel does not support MAC OSX or cloud computing (thin client/browser based). So in my otherwise perfect world AKA Mac-ville, I had to go out and buy a new PC – which came with Windows 7 Home Basic.

Install Pastel – sorry, we need to have Outlook. No, not Mozilla or a plethora of other email clients, it must be OUTLOOK for Pastel to work. R1700 later for the entry-level office-suite with Outlook … only to discover that my pervasive database doesn’t work on windows 7 (you did know that Pastel needs pervasive didn’t you? Stupid phleb for not knowing).

OK, so I need an upgrade patch … R960 for that. Extortion. After I pay the invoice I phone the Support Centre. Right, where’s the link so I can download it?

No, sir, we ship the produce on CD.

Say whaaaaaat?

4-10 day delivery. Besides the fact that today is 24 March. I have to send off invoices, I now have to wait for a frigging CD to ship? PASTEL PLEASE WAKE UP – IT’S 2010 not 1985.

If you want to run business (any business) on the Internet … consider:

1. That your product works across all platforms.
  2. That (preferably it’s cloud based).
  3. People can pay by Credit Card.
  4. Delivery is immediate by download.

R6700 later and I am still unable to send off an email. That could very well be a new lounge suite (which I need) or a holiday to Victoria Falls (which I want).

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why we’re expected to use software like Pastel. Please, go and die gracefully like all the other dinosaurs.

Be Sociable, Share!

1. Christo Bothma says:

Hi Tony

Pastel may not be the best package in the world but quick books has a major flaw in that you can delete or go back into history to delete or alter a transaction without anybody knowing even you.

A year later and not even you would remember what you did in that transaction.

As part of WIndows the a mail program is loaded automotically. Would this not have worked for the email program needed?

If you were using a Pastel dealer you may have found that the software may have been with you faster than your projected periods listed above.

24th March 2010 at 9:54 pm

Hi Christo

The problem is that Windows 7 does not include Outlook or Outlook Express – which is why I had to pay R1700! It is incredibly short-sited for a company to develop software like this.

Perhaps I should have gone to a dealer, but now I’ve already paid Pastel the R1000. I am still waiting for the package … it’s incredibly frustrating!

24th March 2010 at 10:35 am

3. Michael says:

Tony, Christo

QuickBooks has that FEATURE yes but it’s flag-able and SARS has done audits where VAT refunds were required and commented that they were the best audits they’ve ever done…far better than any Pastel-based audits they’ve had lol

Pastel is shit, everyone knows and yet everyone keeps using the crud – try to get Pastel to interface with SQL….hah, fun that was….

We won’t sell Pastel to anyone, no sirree, we refuse outright and explain that they buy it at their own peril if they decide to obtain it elsewhere

24th March 2010 at 9:37 pm

4. craig says:

Hi Guys

I’m an @lantic Franchisee and have reselling opportunities available selling Pastel My Business Online. Try it out on a 30 day trial. Setup is quick and easy and works with any browser.

No installation hassles – simply login and begin your work
    * No special hardware or software is required, and Google runs the servers so you can focus on your business.
    * No data security hassles – your data will always be safe and secure
    * Accessibility – invite your accountant as a user; he or she can simply login at their convenience

24th March 2010 at 7:33 pm

Hi Michael – I completely agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately it’s difficult to move to another accounting package at the moment so we’re stuck with Pastel. What frustrates me is that it’s the end of the month and without Pastel I can’t send out invoices. The folks at Pastel Support are so entrenched in their “jobs” they don’t understand how critical cashflow is to a small business.

Craig – Pastel Online is completely USELESS and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone at all, EVER. It doesn’t do recurring purchases, doesn’t provide payment links on invoices and the biggest fail of all: Is UNABLE to import my existing company profile from my desktop to ONLINE.

I’m sorry, were these idiots not even thinking? There are FREE invoicing systems that work better than Pastel Online – and the fact that you can’t import an existing business (even from a pastel backup) is unforgivable.

24th March 2010 at 8:21 pm

6. Pawel says:

Hey Guys

I work for a company called smart-it intelligent business and accounting solutions. We have developed a system locally that is much better then pastel. We do not charge ridiculous amounts of money for upgrades and we offer all the functionality of pastel’s flagship product evolution for a fraction of the cost. We are able to import all your data from your current software package into ours in a matter of minutes.

If you want to check out an alternative that will save you tons of money and frustrations try out our system. We offer a 30 trial versions available on http://www.smart-it.co.za/download

We too have suffered the problems you are currently having with pastel and other accounting systems and have decided to take an initiative to develop the ultimate business management system on the market. Our system is extremely easy to use and complies with all the rules and regulations of SARS.

Try is out. Let me know what you think. Email pawel@smart-it.co.za for further info.

Hope this is the solution your looking for.

24th March 2010 at 9:55 am

Hi Pawel

Thanks for the comment. We usually don’t allow advertising on the blog, but I thought I’d let you have some :-) I’ve already installed 2009 and not really in the mood to move things around again.

24th March 2010 at 10:34 am

8. Pawel says:

Hey Tony

Thank you for not deleting my post. Didn’t mean to advertise, I’m just so excited about what this product has on offer, and I too share your feelings towards pastel. Well now you know you got an alternative when next years upgrades come out.

Have a awesome long weekend!

24th March 2010 at 8:53 am

9. Steven Cohen says:

Everyone..
    Im the MD of Pastel – i don’t write “careful emails” etc. – i write what i feel!!
    And Tony – I feel your assessment of Pastel My Business On-Line is VERY misleading
    You mention “recurring purchases” “importing of profile etc.”
    These are features that will come soon – but our objective in launching the product was to address new businesses looking for software – and it does everything in this regard : inventory, cashbooks, customers, suppliers, balance sheet and profit and loss
    In fact, we have over 500 users – and these are reasonably “into-it” users who are progressive enough to adopt the concept of on-line accounting
    Now, with 90 days free etc. before they signed up – why do you think these user’s opinions differ to yours ?
    Maybe recurring purchases isnt a big deal for them – so i believe you should tell the whole story
    Anyone reading your mail would believe that the product is lousy – and its not (clearly I’m not objective – I’m the MD of Pastel – so anyone reading this post, should check it out for themselves)
    Tony – why don’t you take an objective view of the product ?
    Look at it in its entirety – sure there will be some missing elements – we really took the attitude of “lets give 95% of the users most of the features they need – rather than complicating the product for the balance of the 5% of users (by adding zillions of features))
    In today’s times, simplicity and “less is more” is a rare quality
    And Tony – as an Apple user – you most of all should appreciate that concept!!

24th March 2010 at 8:13 am

Hi Steven – Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for your passion about your product. I’m glad someone is listening to what the public have to say.

The problem is that kind of “spirit” is not followed by the rest of your support team. It took TWO WEEKS for them to sort my accounting system out – and a heap of misinformation was given to me. For a small business two weeks of no-invoicing is a killer. And no one at your Support Centre really understood the gravity of the situation. Firstly, I had to pay R960 before anyone would actually talk to me, because I wasn’t a “paying client”. And after that was paid, all the wrong information was given to me.

Regarding the Online Model – You’re talking as if this is major breakthrough – but the rest of the world has been using online accounting systems for at least 5 years now – Pastel is a late-adopter in this arena. I have reviewed literally hundreds of online systems and there are two features which are a common denominator which Pastel Online does not have:

1. Recurring Purchases (which you seem to think is not important)
    2. Integrated creditcard payments – link on invoice, to integrated payment gateway.

Look, I fully understand that you need to build the system up. I can live without recurring payments. I can also live without the integrated payments. But what really grates my carrot is that I can’t import my accounts from Pastel Start-up to Online.

When I queried a work-around from Pastel Support, I got a “you can’t do that” response. Sometimes I just get the feeling that the guys really don’t care. SARS forces us to use Pastel, so you don’t have to provide decent support … you’re fitting in there with Telkom and Eskom. :-(

I’ve managed to sort out most of the problems now myself … and everything seems to be running OK. Anyway, I really hope you’ll see my comments as something positive. If people criticize my business (and they do) I use the feedback for improvement.

Tony

24th March 2010 at 11:21 am

11. Lesley says:

It’s you, me and a bunch of others who believe Pastel IS a lousy product. Product support is problematic and cumbersome. Actually, let me not beat around the bush either, I hate Pastel too.

24th March 2010 at 12:27 pm

12. Gjalt says:

I have the answer for you!!! Contact me on *@*.net

*Edited

24th March 2010 at 4:14 pm

13. Mxolisi Dlamini says:

i cannot retrive my company old information after my pc was crushed by a virus, i tried to reinstall pastel9 but the company can not open.it seems i have lost all the data

24th March 2010 at 2:49 pm

14. Mxolisi Dlamini says:

may someone give a solution

24th March 2010 at 2:57 pm

15. Marelize says:

Hi,

Can any one tell me where i can download pastel xpress, my computer crashed, had to reinstall the cd, but it is scratched. Tried to download a trial version but cant find it on the net.

Thank you..

24th March 2010 at 10:29 pm

Hi Marelize

Perhaps you can contact Pastel and ask them to email you a free demo disk? I think you need to just make sure it’s the same version as yours.

Tony

24th March 2010 at 1:05 am

17. Marelize says:

Hi Tony

I did, but because i don’t have cover I have to pay R350 for a new disc and another R100 for delivery.
    Cant they just send me a download link, instead of having to pay again????

Anyways,
    Thanx

24th March 2010 at 9:32 pm

Marelize

I really sympathize with you. I really hope Mr Steven Cohen is reading this … because these are REAL problems that REAL pastel users are constantly experiencing. Why on earth should anyone have to pay R450 for a replacement CD? And I *bet* that will be the ex-VAT price.

Marelize, I found it was actually cheaper to sign up for 12 months of “support” and then claim a free upgrade CD. It took about 2 weeks for them to sort out, my bookkeeper did the upgrade. This also means I get a free 2010 upgrade when it comes out in July (apparently) – but I won’t hold my breath.

24th March 2010 at 10:40 pm

19. Darren says:

These online accounting applications are appealing but how will they (ie Pastel) overcome the fact / perception that the inherently sensitive data of companies will be at greater risk of unauthorized access by hackers or even someone like SARS?

Is it fair to say that your company data is safer on site? (Assuming you have the necessary firewalls decent passwords etc..)

24th March 2010 at 6:12 pm

20. Joey says:

A fantastic solution to the Dinosaur … OMNI accounts. (see http://www.omniaccounts.co.za). Scaleable, user friendly, disceptively powerful, great price, excellent support without any hidden costs and big brother antics. You dont need big brand for performance. Enjoy.

24th March 2010 at 3:33 pm

21. Alfred says:

I use smart-it and there is no comparison between http://www.smart-it.co.za and pastell. I used pastell for many years but it just could not run a CRM / POS system.

24th March 2010 at 11:25 am

22. Vee says:

Hi there- funny I am considering becoming a pastel trainer as I love the program- well- I am only qualified to V5- but I can tell you the first versions of pastel were great- nothing fancy pansy with lots of easy help windows. But I am a little hesitant to apply now reading this….thinking about it a little more. I see the relevance for more complex platforms and requirements – but I agree with you they are so expensive and understaffed. Who has a better idea for a book keeper ? maybe go back to book ledgers!!! haa haa

24th March 2010 at 5:12 pm

23. Altus Pienaar says:

Hi there
    I am a small business owner. I am not an accountant and I hate admin, I hate accounting and I hate paperwork and filing, I hate banks, SARS and anything to do with office work. So when Pastel came into my life it had a fair disadvantage because it is dealing with that part of my life I hate the most.
    One thing is that I am fairly sharp, a fast learner and can figure things out for myself fast.
    Pastel was a steep learning curve and after not using it for a while I cant seem to recall how to perform many of the tasks.
    The terminology is illogical and strange and the interface complicated, I have never for instance managed to copy my company logo at the top of the page on invoices and not even most accountants seem to know how.

Oh and another thing, I hate PC’s and Windows, why anyone still uses them I really don’t know but I would really prefer to do my accounting on my MAC. Maybe it will inspire me to feel less hateful toward the whole admin thing. I just love my Mac.

So there you have Pastel suck but it suck more because it cant work on Mac.

24th March 2010 at 8:13 am

24. Christian van Zyl says:

Hi Guys,

I’m the marketing manager for the new accounting kid on the block called MoneyWorks. This packages is developed in Australasia by a company – Cognito. I guess the reason this package suits the South African market so well is mentioned in all the comments. Here are a few reasons our company switched to MoneyWorks from Pastel:

– @Altus MoneyWorks runs seamlessly on Mac and PC or a combination of these operating systems.

– MoneyWorks is fully GAAP compliant, comes standard with SARS documentation.

– @Christo you dont have any of the QuickBooks “flaws” in MoneyWorks

– No recurring fees for extra modules. All due respect mister MD, but the less is more idea is just to tell the end user that he is going to pay for every module he requires.

– Integrates with any of your mail clients. With no issues.

– free copy of MoneyWorks and 2 hours training for your accountant

– No annual upgrade fees

– Pay as you go support. Only pay for support if you need it.

Then just a comment on the online books. Online books will never as reliable as a program on you local computer especially in a country where internet reliability is questionable. If the internet is down, your business is down.

My not very objective view of Pastel…

It’s a maze, once you’re in, its hard work to stay there or to get out again. Very very expensive hard work…

C

24th March 2010 at 12:41 pm

Hi Christian

Thanks for popping over.

I think you’re wrong about the Online Accounting Packages. I don’t think South African internet is unreliable anymore. When last have you had any significant downtime? South African internet may be expensive, but hardly unreliable.

What is a larger threat to SA businesses is theft. It would therefore make a lot more sense to have my accounting data in the cloud than on a physical machine.

Also what the Americans and Europeans have which would be great is a built-in credit card payment link for each invoice. Client can click directly to pay, and it updates the books on the fly.

We think we’re progressing, but we’re progressing too slowly and falling behind.

24th March 2010 at 1:58 pm

26. Christian van Zyl says:

Hi Tony,

I do agree with you about cloud… MoneyWorks has a very unique feature called MoneyWorks live. This additional plug in actively syncs your set of books hosted on your computers to the cloud giving you the best of both words.
    Now you can have the speed and consistency of your PC with the backup and security features of the cloud. The cloud is undoubtably the future of computing.

Would like to show this tech to you if you have a sec… visit http://www.moneyworkslive.com for our contact details.

24th March 2010 at 12:10 pm

27. Dylan Malan says:

Hi Tony,

Have you considered Quickbooks 2010 Mac?

If you are interested please visit http://www.iaccounting.co.za, we also offer a host of business & accounting software solutions solely for Mac users.

Regards

Dylan

24th March 2010 at 6:30 pm

28. Miles says:

Hi Tony,

I run a company where half the users are on Mac and half using PC’s. As a fellow Mac user, what accounting system would you recommend that:

a) Is a good system
    b) works on both Mac and PC?

I understand that I can load bootcamp but that is not ideal.

What do you suggest?

24th March 2010 at 2:04 pm

29. Callie says:

Did anybody eventually get Pastel to work using a Mac and Parallels? Im having a hard time sorting this out. I bought all the software needed, but Im having a problem with Pervasive. Everything else works fine. Would contacting Pastel support be my best bet to get is sorted? Would they even know what to do? I hate dealing with them, and my Mac knowledge is very limited.

24th March 2010 at 2:23 pm

30. Tim Pullen says:

ATTENTION MR STEVE COHEN: Pastel MD

I have been trying to contact you personally for more than a Year. It is impossible to penetrate the fence which is built around you.

Quite simply, if you are so high up the totem pole that you can’t be reached, you are in grave danger of being fed INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT TO BE FED. If you are kept away from communication or interacting with YOUR MONEY PRODUCING CUSTOMERS, a day will come when your Pastel clients may be in enough pain, to warrant moving to a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g e-l-s-e..

I know that I am so unhappy with your entire outfit, that I am looking at ways to leave the Pastel fold.

I am not a happy client of Pastel’s – for many reasons.

Pastel’s corporate arrogance is number 1 !!!

Being ripped off, is another reason.

Your latest upgrade came out 2 weeks after I purchased EXPENSIVE add-ons for VERSION 9. Your sales team’s attitude was – Shame, you are just going to have to pay again.. I feel ripped off, and as a result will not spend another cent with your organization.

You sales manager said the only solution was for me to spend R4500 on a support package.

I don’t need to buy support – my infrastructure works – all we do is invoice out our product, and backup to our Linux box every day.

I have already spent more than I should.
    Pastel Partner 9
    Multi Warehousing
    Multi Currency
    Serial Tracking

We are an Importer and Wholesaling company, so have around 100 stores which we supply to.

Some of our invoicing is allocated towards SALES with serial number tracking
    Some of our invoicing is allocated towards CONSIGNMENT INVOICES with serial number tracking

Pastel cannot perform consignment invoices. (Sad Face)

Our work-around is to duplicate the clients, were the is a prefix of zzz before the customer’s account to designate CONSIGNMENT ACCOUNT.

One of the ESSENTIAL requirements of this cumbersome workaround is to print 2 different coloured invoices. White invoice is a normal invoice and blue invoice is a consignment invoice allocted to every zzz account.

Our Need is for Pastel to have an option for printer 1 or printer 2 to be saved for each customer account/

Example:
    Musikland Durban customer account needs a saveable tickbox Printer A = white invoice paper

Musikland Durban CONSIGNMENT account needs a saveable tickbox Printer B = BLUE invoice paper.

IRRITATION: Every single invoice printed at present needs the printer to be set up for each and every invoice. It takes HALF A DAY to invoice a few musical instruments out.

This would be so easy to do for your programmers, its 1 extra field on one of the tables, but your company says it can’t be done… (This is dead easy in Btrieve / Pervasive) How long could this take your programmer??? Less than 1 morning???

Your “Pastel” name is uttered with contempt by a very large part of the user base. Its kind of like being in a bad marriage just ready for Prince Charming to come along.

How long before your Pastel family starts sleeping with the opposition?

I can be contacted at timo ()clavitech.com or on zero eight two four four nine six four seven four.

Tim Pullen

24th March 2010 at 12:48 am

31. Tim Pullen says:

I emailed Pastel CEO, about the issues reported directly above – we are into the next week and nothing from Pastel so far. The management may be on leave due the time of year.
    December 30. 2010

24th March 2010 at 7:40 pm

32. Andre Cloete says:

Our business started small, and I was looking at using Pastel. I asked for a quote and after that episode I will be following up on any of Pastel’s opposition. I will not be ripped off, with inflated pricing. Pastel may you go in peace, like the Dinosaurs.

24th March 2010 at 9:45 pm

33. Christian van Zyl says:

@Miles please have a look at MoneyWorks accounting systems available in Apple iStores nation wide. Version 6 just launched. It works seamlessly on Mac and PC combinations and we are confident that there are not a product on the market that compares to our speed and efficiency. Get the Gold package and if you are unsatisfied I will give you your money back.

@tim all the add on modules that you mention is standard on MoneyWorks and you pay a once off fee only. No annual costs. No forced support costs.

24th March 2010 at 5:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. It’s been a quiet start to the year and us Cape Townians take a while to get into the swing of things … really glad to hear everyone’s input because I did feel like a bit of an idiot complaining about Pastel.

Every accountant-friend I know tells me how fabulous Pastel is – but I think it’s a complete joke. And worst of all, you have to pay them a Support Fee if you want even the most basic questions answered.

What I have done to protect my company information is to open up a free dropbox account and then point Pastel to save all backups to dropbox, which I do religiously every day anyway. This means that should the PC crash or be stolen, my company information is backed up online.

24th March 2010 at 1:34 pm

35. Chenje says:

As complex as it may seem Pastel is the best in keeping audit trails on transactions and on control measures, i fiddle a lot on these softwares, that is how i get my ways around accounting “matters”
    Quick Books is alright for small one line businesses with no vast amounts of operations as it is easy to set up preferences on both creditors and debtors more so processing bills and invoices. I am more impressed with various ways one can pull reports on Quickbooks, its amazing and straight to the point.

24th March 2010 at 11:50 am

36. Jason du Toit says:

I am going to agree with eeryone who says “I hate Pastel” I have reloaded pastel Xpress 2007 on a Windows 7 Professional machine, and it works just fine. The issue I am having is that I cannot email from Pastel anymore, and when I phone Pastel for assistance, they say that I need to upgrade to a newer version. I am not going to be bullied into byuing something just because Pastel Says so. They must support their software.

24th March 2010 at 1:52 pm

37. Bill H Shaik says:

Yes Pastel, the product and the people have designed a system where they can rip you off for as much as possible for as long as posible.
    We are so sick and tired that we have decided to bite the bullet and call it a day with Pastel (even though we have paid them a heap of money). We feel that rather now than later.
    We have found a software supplier FinCon that is also expensive, and has an annual licence fee, but the support is great, the people helpful and the product is fully loaded so you dont have to carry on buying and buying as you do with Pustel.

24th March 2010 at 3:34 pm

38. Katerina says:

I was probably one of the first Pastel users many years ago and can see the numerous merits, once one navigates and drives it correctly, bar a few glitches when moving out of the windows ‘circle of death’ environment’ forward to Mac. Has anyone managed to email a pastel doc through Parallels? I’ve set all my defaults to Outlook! Migrated from 64 bit to 32 bit and still nada! Any ideas welcome!

24th March 2010 at 8:24 pm

Hi Jason – this is exactly the initial problem I had with Pastel and I was forced to pay the R960 for an “upgraded” package with 1 year’s online support. I was shocked last month when I got a snotty email from them saying that my account with them is in arrears and I have to pay (another R960) for this year’s subscription.

Firstly, don’t jump at me for being in arrears, when I’m not.
    Secondly, don’t assume I’m simply going to subscribe again.
    Thirdly, add value to my life, highlight the benefits of renewing, rather than coming down on me heavy-handedly!

24th March 2010 at 10:38 pm

40. Jimmy says:

I am a Accountant in Australia. We don’t even have Pastel. Quickbooks the best. The Accountant can lock your Quickbooks file after reviewing the data preventing the user to alter any past transactions.I have large clients using QB with no trouble at all.get Quickbooks

24th March 2010 at 5:42 am

41. Holger says:

Tony,
    thanks for a useful post. Can anyone recommend an online accounting system that works on Mac, IPad, IPhone and windoze?

24th March 2010 at 7:54 am

42. Kay says:

Hi Tony

We hate Pastell too. Thank-you for allowing all the comments. We are going to drop pastell and look into the other products listed in the comments. One of the important selling points for any product is the Support. When you have to pay for support, its a sure indicator that its not worth purchasing the software. We won’t be making that mistake in the future again.

24th March 2010 at 5:54 pm

43. Kate says:

For Mr Steve Cohen what gives, treating your partners like minions to find lost treasure, how many partners do you get to sign up on the different discount margin in the same area, 7 , 8 , how many do you have in East africa. Kenya Nairobi for instance. and then how how come they have to pay you some much for the right to resale pastel and evo . then why the preferential treamtment for some partners, some on 30 % discount others on 70 % how do you expect your business partners to grow and whats up with the GOD mentality , to say that pastel is not the best product in the market but is desparately marketed by cash starved partners, hoping to impress you by meeting the sale volume targets is an understatement . THE PEOPLE WHO END UP SUFFERING ARE YOUR CLIENTS, SINCE YOUR PARTNERS always rush into a sale without doing a proper need analysis , ALL YOUR PARTNERS CAN SEE IS THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I GUESS THEY LEARNT THAT FROM YOU

24th March 2010 at 8:54 pm

I’m not sure if Mr Cohen even bothers to read these comments, but it’s incredible to see how many really unhappy people there are with Pastel.

24th March 2010 at 11:13 am

45. Holger says:

Has anyone tried http://www.nolapro.com/index-5.html

24th March 2010 at 5:24 pm

Hi everyone!

I thought I should mention that after long last I have finally dumped Pastel and started using SnapBill http://www.snapbill.com – their system is incredibly user-friendly, available ONLINE, so I can log in anywhere on any machine to send an invoice and reflect payments. It’s perfect for a small business!

After using SnapBill for 2 months I am now in a position where I am comfortable to recommend them to my readers. And they’re also very reasonable. I’m on their R50/month package but they allow you to open an account and use them for free to test out the waters!

I’ve made use of their support system and find the team very knowledgeable and incredibly patient!

24th March 2010 at 2:33 pm

47. Patrick says:

Did anyone see the special that Pastel is running on its bookeeping course for only R9999……you can check it out at:

24th March 2010 at 11:14 am

48. Greg Grobler says:

It is true that when they say NOTHING ever gets deleted from the Web… 2 Years down the line and a version or two up, and in my humble opinion Tony’s RANT is still as relevant as ever!!!

24th March 2010 at 11:18 am

Hi Greg thanks for the comments.

I’ve been Pastel free for a while now and I am seriously happy. I use snapbill for all my main stuff, print out the reports and bank statements and hand it to my accountant once a month who does all the processing.

24th March 2010 at 10:25 am

50. Liezl says:

Hi please help, I am working on pastel partner 7 and since april my ms outlook export is not funtioning, I cant send any emails it is stuck in the outbook of my outlook I now found that under the utility heading my ms office integration, ms outlook export is not highlighted as the other options below that. I have checked another pc in our office and the ms outlook export is in fact highligted, how can I fix this.

24th March 2010 at 3:19 pm

51. Holger says:

Try Neville from http://www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za/

24th March 2010 at 3:24 pm

52. Willie says:

It seems to me that the only people who are complaining about PASTEL are the people who were’nt educated in accounting.

Why do you guys think accountant and bookkeepers charge so much ? Because they want to ? No , they charge so much because accounting and the use of accounting software is a speciality. One needs to be trained in the field.

If I as a bookkeeper, would want to go and use something like photoshop or a program develpment suite, I would feel exactly the same as you people. I would think it is the worst program ever, because I have no experience in it.

Just because you dont know how to use something to its full potential, does not mean it is a crap program.

PASTEL is possibly the best account package that there is, hands down. And that comes from actual knowlage and experience.

The only problem I have with it, is that it is not compatible with MAC. if PASTEL fixes that little problem it would be unstopable

24th March 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hi Willie

Thanks so much for your comment.

The problem is that software packages like Photoshop is sold as a professional suite (with a price-tag to match!) while Pastel is not. The Start-Up package is sold specifically to small business owners who have ZERO knowledge of accounting, and is completely unmanageable.

Also, NO WHERE on any of their boxes do they state that the software requires MS-OFFICE AND Microsoft Outlook to work.

24th March 2010 at 5:44 pm

54. Rena says:

Hi, can someone please help me…

My computer crashed. Luckily all my data could be retreived. I loaded Pastel Xpress again, but now (like Mxolisi Dlamini) I cannot open my company.

I do have the data on a backup, but don’t know in which folder to put it for Pastel to actually see it.

Can someone please assist with this frustrating problem?

Rena

24th March 2010 at 10:17 pm

55. Pieter says:

Bwahahahaha at the reluctant millionaire, Steven Cohen. I’d be ashamed to ask money for the software you sell. Shame on you!
    We’ve been struggling with Pastel for months now. Besides it’s workflow, the interface the usability, the everything is just downright old and has been left in the dark ages
    You are not spending your money on upgrading your software for your userbase. SHAME ON YOU
    And NO, we won’t be trying out your web solution, we just want to get of this nightmare bus.
    Tony – Way to go, we agree with you and countless others. Pastel Sucks!

24th March 2010 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for the comment Pieter.

Since this post was written I have now completely outsourced my accounting and use snapbill.com for all the invoicing. Absolutely brilliant. It even integrates with most payment gateways to automate payments!

Tony

24th March 2010 at 4:57 pm

57. Thilo Naicker says:

#Stephen Cohen ,
    I would really like to know if my Pastel V11 database was located in a Dropbox folder – would I have real time synchronisation .I have 3 separate site licenses , I don’t like Letsapp . Letsync , since it is not real time .

What are my options