Anyone who knows me knows that I am really big on email campaigns. Build a big database, build a relationship with your readers and then add value to their lives. This “Serve First” principle has helped me build a very successful online business.
This morning I had a very interesting call from a client who is struggling with their email campaign. They have a HUGE database of well over 1 million readers, but last month they received NOT ONE positive response. It seemed incredibly dodgy to me – the Rule of Big Numbers means that someone, somewhere must have opened up the email and made contact with them.
My first port of call was to check the server reliability. Since they host with Kwikkermail, I know the servers are running, and a quick check online showed me that their server was not blacklisted or anything. So what was it?
I quickly asked for a copy of their email, and I knew immediately why things went wrong: they chose a terrible Subject Line. It was basic: “Company A Events Calendar“. Even though people know who Company A is, why on earth would they open up the email? It seems like it’s not even for them!
So, here are a few simple rules I use to increase my maximum deliverability:
- Keep in mind that the receiver actually may not know you.
- Give them a REASON to open the email.
- Something that starts with “How to…” performs the best.
- Also “Save …”
- Adding a time limit works!
- Next, I use the Google Keyword Tool to research a little on how many people actually search for a keyword. Obviously the more searches conducted the more people would read it.
Here are a couple of great examples that have worked well for me in the past:
- How to reduce your debt.
- How to earn R1million in 12 months (seriously!)
- Save 38% every month right now! (details inside)
- Change the way you think about Cold Calling
- Increase your Home Security today.
The next test is to split test. This can be a bit tricky, but what I would do is split my mailing list up into 4 parts:
10%, 10%, 80%
I then send out an email to the first 2 groups, each with a different subject line. After 24 hours, I’ll monitor the responses. The subject line with the highest open rate, gets the go-ahead for the other 80%.