Coupon Marketing – Internet Style

Posted on 28th March 2011 by Tony in Business Advice

, , , , ,

Coupons are not a big deal in South Africa. Sure, you get the odd coupon here and there for a product or service, but nothing major – but elsewhere in the world, coupons are a huge deal – and it’s actually really good marketing for your business.

If you’ve been keeping an eye online lately, you’ll notice a flood of online coupon companies that have come to the fore, and some of their offerings are really good. Take Zappon’s offer today – R995.00 for a weekend away for two at a fancy hotel in Paarl valued at R5000.00.

Now if I owned a hotel/restaurant I would definitely be approaching one of these guys right now to ask them to promote a meal/special or holiday package … heck, I’m sitting here thinking “how can I get any of my products on their system”?

If you’re looking at trying something different with marketing your business, take a look at these sites here:

www.zappon.co.za

www.ubuntudeal.co.za

www.dealio.co.za

Disclaimer: Before anyone asks, I have not been paid by zappon or ubuntudeal or dealio to write this post. I just think that their products are worthy of mentioning…

Be Sociable, Share!

1. Rethavs says:

I agree, Tony! The group buying sites have taken off with a bang in South Africa, but as I have said on my blog, I believe that they should be careful and responsible in choosing products to market this way. I do believe that products which cannot be sold at a later stage, such as “bums on seats” or “bums in beds” are perfect special offers, as are vouchers that make you spend more! Zappon has chosen products very well so far, and I will certainly keep an eye on them for special offers I may be interested in.
    R

28th March 2011 at 7:25 pm

2. pat says:

Will these coupons be available for any weekend or only certain weeks? Out of season deals can be negotiated by anyone. South Africans may find this cool to start but we are not a coupon collecting nation.

Pick n Pay give free coupons in their Fresh Living magazine every month and I would really love to see what the uptake on those coupons are?

Traditionally coupons are offered for goods/services that are not being snapped up and that is where everything falls down, people need deals on everyday survival goods in order to be sustainable and to sell consistently.

South Africans cannot even return goods that have gone bad never mind trolling the web for savings.

28th March 2011 at 7:51 pm

Hi Retha

Thanks for popping in! I agree with you 100% that the group-buying sites need to be quite careful when choosing their products.

I bought the exclusive books voucher (R200 worth for R50) and just ended up buying over R300 worth of books – which I really had no intention of buying anyway (but I love reading, so it’s cool!)

At the moment I think we’re in the ‘honey-moon’ phase of group-buying, so we’ll see if these guys can keep up the momentum and survive the hype.

T

28th March 2011 at 10:57 pm

@pat: Please tell me how to organise those out-of-season deals! I’d love some cheap holidays!

The terms and conditions for the voucher are available on the zappon site, so just click on the link and you’ll see what they are – they’re pretty flexible, which is great.

Also, I think the big thing here is that these coupons are not “free” coupons that you get in a newspaper or a store – you’re actually buying a deal – and it’s limited for each deal – so for example only 200 vouchers are made available. I figure if you’re going to pay the R995.00 up front for a weekend away, you’re actually going to use it!

If not, the hotel scores, because they’ve already received their money.

T

28th March 2011 at 11:00 pm

5. Secret Online Coupon Codes Explained says:

[…] Coupon Marketing – Internet Style | Free Tips DOT COZA […]

28th March 2011 at 11:01 pm

6. Angie says:

I must say, after watching extreme couponing on the new TLC channel, do we as South Africans even know what couponing is? I have been on every SA website that apparently offers coupons, these are discounts & not really coupons. We should be able to capitilize on these discounts, but we cant. Also there are not many offers on groceries, wich is what we really need to save on these days.

28th March 2011 at 2:47 pm

7. Emily says:

i agree with Angie, i would also like to make use of coupons for our monthly groceries, but the pick n pay coupons, you only find 6 coupons in their fresh living magazine, nothing on online coupons?
    other big groceries stores are worse, when you ask the cashier, they never know, what a coupon is?
    i had to educate their own staff, when you talk to them, no one has even seen what a coupon looks like….
    it’s a shame that big stores are not making use of such a good opportunity to keep the customers…
    does anybody know, where to find printable coupons on the net?
    thanks

28th March 2011 at 12:08 pm

8. Mia 003 says:

I agree with all of you, but think that the only way we as South Africans can get manufacturers in Sa to start handing out coupons on goods is if we dont buy our local products like Tiger brands products and Unilever. That way they will promote their products and start couponing.

The reason why Americans have couponing is due to the vast amount of product on offer and the manufacturers are competing with one another to sell their products and for the people to purchase them they offer couponing deals.

So we have work to do, also sometimes if you send letter to Cadbury or huggies they send you coupons but it’s normally if you complain.

28th March 2011 at 9:42 pm

9. Jolandi says:

I’ve been reading your comments, and I must say I agree with the coupon thing. I also watch the extreme couponing on TLC and decided that if they can do it, wel then I can do it is it is available in South Africa. But I can not find any coupons. I do not have a credit card to buy on the group buying, so that wil not work. And especially not in small towns. But how is it possible that people over seas can get coupons and the shops still profit, but in South Africa they are to obsessed with more and more money, then to do proper advertising such as coupons. And this site called “just play” is crap. I’ve been playing since January every day, and not once I have won something or vouchers or coupons. Where can I get coupons if any one knows or can help. Please mail me.

28th March 2011 at 7:17 pm

10. Alvin Govender says:

Hi there, I use electronic coupons a lot when I shop, and I have literally saved R1000’s of rand recently, buying food, cosmetic, detergents which I would have otherwise paid full-price for. If major retailer or manufacturing concerns can implement in SA what they have in other countries, I think it would be damn brilliant. My greatest accomplishment is feeding a family of 5 for R20!

28th March 2011 at 7:23 am